We are offering a great opportunity for economists with some previous professional experience (2-3 years) to join our team as an Economic Consultant. We are particularly interested in hearing from candidates who have experience of econometrics and spreadsheet modelling, impact evaluation, cost benefit and cost effectiveness analyses.
As an Economic Consultant, successful applicants will be expected to work effectively with both colleagues and clients, using their knowledge of economics to address real world problems. They should have a strong understanding of economic theory (with examination results to demonstrate this) and a genuine interest in applying economics to real world situations (demonstrated through professional experience).
Our company structure offers frequent opportunities to advance these skills by contributing to our project and proposal work, working as part of a team on each assignment. As individuals gain experience, they develop specialist expertise (e.g. in a particular practice area) and leadership skills, and contribute further to the success and development of the business. In the longer term, our ambition is that individuals hired as Economic Consultants continue to develop as professional economists within the firm.
Contract Type: Permanent, Full Time
Start Date: To start ASAP (ideally within the next three months)
- using a variety of techniques and theoretical principles to establish causal relationships using different macroeconomic and micro-economic data
- undertaking detailed economic and econometric analysis (often using Stata) using large secondary datasets
- undertaking complex spreadsheet modelling
- designing and managing surveys, and using statistical techniques in order to analyse and interpret the quantitative data collected
- using appropriate econometric techniques and theoretical principles to determine the most efficient method of data collection and research methodology
- analysing and interpreting information gained and formulating recommendations
- providing of economic or statistical advice to governments, commercial enterprises, organisations and other clients in light of research findings
- managing projects and workstreams efficiently and effectively
- reporting and presenting research findings to clients, wider stakeholders and media
Essential skills and attributes:
- Very good undergraduate degree (at least a 2:1, usually a First) in economics, from a world-class higher education institution
- Advanced training in microeconomics and econometrics (ideally including cross-sectional and time series econometrics) in Stata
- Substantial training and demonstrated experience in spreadsheet modelling (Excel)
- Passion for economics and practical economic research alongside a strong interest in public policy
- Very high level of motivation, with an ability to work on your own initiative, as well as part of a project team
- Excellent quantitative skills (including data management, statistics and econometrics)
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Fluency in English
- 2-3 years’ professional experience in the private, consulting, government sector or as a post-doctoral researcher at a leading university
- Experience taking lead on project work
- Experience of impact evaluation, cost benefit and cost effectiveness analyses
- Demonstrable confidence in a client-facing environment (making presentations, leading calls, etc.)
- Master’s degree in economics
- Knowledge of other programming languages (R, Python, SAS)
- Knowledge of different languages
How to apply
To apply, please send your application by e-mail to [email protected], quoting ‘LE-RECRUIT-Economic Consultant’.
When contacting us you should enclose:
- A cover letter indicating your economic interests and motivation for working at London Economics.
- A curriculum vitae:
- Describing your academic background and grades (we do not require transcripts at this stage);
- Describing your employment record;
- Giving the names of at least two referees; and
- Stating your nationality and visa situation if applicable, in case we need to help with work permit applications.