Space team member
London Economics is a leading independent economics and policy consultancy with a dedicated team of economists specialised in the space sector. Since 2008 and over more than 100 projects, we have pioneered innovative analytical techniques to provide trusted economic advice to decision-makers across the space industry, space agencies (UK Space Agency, GSA, ESA) and international governments.
We apply the economist’s toolkit to the space industry and economy and offer expertise in market quantification; business cases; value-for-money; return on investment; cost-benefit analysis; and evaluation. Our analyses cover the full space value chain from manufacturing and launch to applications within Navigation, Earth Observation, Telecommunications, and Science.
Due to sustained growth in this business area, we are eager to receive applications for a full-time permanent new team member to support this exciting work from our head office in Somerset House in Central London.
You will join our growing space team in Central London applying economics tools to support a wide range of projects for UK and international clients in the space industry and economy. Your work will involve data management and processing, quantitative and qualitative analysis, report drafting, and client interaction.
You will also be expected to support the team’s development and growth through proposal writing and, in time, be able to influence which projects we pursue and develop ownership and responsibility for specific domains within space.
The rapid development of the space industry means we are often faced with new questions for which no established methods exist. An analytical mindset and good problem-solving skills are key attributes for the new team member.
- Fulfilling work that makes a difference to society and the environment;
- Working with leading players to advance this growing and exciting domain;
- Competitive salary and benefits package, including a performance-related bonus scheme, health and dental insurance;
- Opportunity to specialise in the economics of space;
- Intellectual challenges allowing you to develop professionally;
- Good work-life balance with some UK/European travel;
- Direct collaborative interaction with, and mentoring by, senior management;
- Excellent professional development opportunities, including annual training budget;
- Working in a non-hierarchical young, social and growing team; and
- Diverse international working environment at Somerset House in the heart of London.
You need to have:
- Undergraduate or post-graduate degree in economics with strong academic results;
- Interest in space industry, science and applications, and commercial aspects, with commitment to specialise;
- Analytical mindset and strong quantitative skills (including data management, statistical analysis, modelling, etc.);
- Qualitative analysis skills (interview analysis, literature review);
- Familiarity and eagerness to learn programmes such as MS Excel/Stata;
- Right to live and work in the UK (EU citizens can apply for settled status provided they live in the UK before 31/12/2020).
Your profile (what we look for):
- Attention to detail, diligence, and organisational skills;
- Strong work ethic, motivation, eagerness, and willingness to learn;
- Excellent communication skills in English (oral and written);
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently, both independently and as part of a team;
- Comfortable applying a broad range of economic techniques to other areas of economics as you may be required to support other teams from time to time.
Your profile (additional bonuses):
- Experience from working with the space industry;
- Relevant professional experience (determines the level at which you join);
- Familiarity with other programming languages (R, Python); and
- Fluency in other EU language(s).
For more information on what it is like to work for London Economics, please see here.
To apply, please send your application – comprising a 2-page Curriculum Vitae and cover letter/email (explaining how you fulfil the requirements and date you are available) – by email to email@example.com, quoting the reference above before the stipulated deadline.
Applications will be reviewed after the deadline and selected candidates will be contacted within two weeks. The selected candidates will be asked to complete an online test and those that pass will be invited for two interviews at our offices in Central London.