Position: Economic Analyst
Closing Date: 10/12/21
Before applying for this position, please read all of the following information carefully.
We welcome applications from suitably qualified individuals irrespective of location. Based in London, we also fundamentally believe that our company should reflect the characteristics of London and its many communities. More information can be found in our Careers Brochure.
This is a permanent entry-level position aimed at economics graduates with a very good undergraduate degree (a Masters degree in economics is advantageous), based at our central London office.
The position offers an environment in which individuals can develop their potential to become professional economists. You will be expected to work effectively with your colleagues and our clients, using your knowledge of economics to address real world problems. You should have a strong understanding of economic theory (with examination results to demonstrate this) and a genuine interest in applying economics to real world situations.
You will contribute to our project and proposal work, working as part of a team on each assignment. Initially, the work you will undertake will involve activities such as literature reviews, information gathering, data manipulation and statistical analysis, econometrics, spreadsheet analysis, and report writing.
As you gain experience, you will be expected (and helped) to develop specialist expertise (e.g. in a particular practice area) and leadership skills and contribute further to the success and development of the business. In the longer term, our ambition is that individuals hired as Economic Analysts flourish as professional economists within the firm.
Required qualifications and experience
Applicants should be economics graduates with a very good undergraduate degree (at least a 2:1, usually a First). A Masters degree in economics is advantageous but not essential.
We aim to provide world-class economic analysis. Therefore, the people we recruit must be able to demonstrate a fundamental grasp of the principles of economics. All economists working for London Economics must have knowledge of economics, statistics and econometrics and be prepared to learn from others in areas where they do not yet have the requisite skills or expertise. In addition, all candidates must be keen to learn the tools of the trade that allow us to implement world-class research (i.e. Stata and Excel), as well as the means of presenting this information (Word and Powerpoint)).
Essential skills and attributes:
- Very good undergraduate degree (at least a 2:1, usually a First) in economics, from a world-class higher education institution
- Advanced training in microeconomics and econometrics (ideally including cross-sectional and time series econometrics)
- Passion for economics and practical economic research
- High level of motivation, with an ability to work on your own initiative, as well as part of a project team
- Excellent quantitative skills (including data management, statistics and econometrics)
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Fluency in English
- Masters degree in economics
- Knowledge of Stata, SAS (and other statistical/econometric packages) and MS Excel
- Previous experience (e.g. an internship) working as an economist in the private or public sector
- Knowledge of different languages
How to apply
To apply, please send your application by e-mail to [email protected], quoting ‘LE-RECRUIT-Economic Analyst-2021’.
When contacting us you should enclose:
- A cover letter indicating your economic interests and motivation for working at London Economics.
- A curriculum vitae:
- Describing your academic background and grades;
- Describing your employment record;
- Giving the names of at least two referees; and
- Stating your nationality (in case we need to help with work permit applications).
If applicable, please also clearly state your visa situation and its duration.
About London Economics
Like all consultancies, the main outputs of our work are the solutions to clients’ problems. What distinguishes us from other consultancies is that the way we do this is by using a particular set of economic and quantitative tools.
The other distinguishing feature of London Economics is that we enjoy applying the latest advances in econometrics and economics for solving complex problems in the areas of industrial economics, financial economics and public policy. In addition, we are strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity and we are proud of our multinational and multi-ethnic work environment.
The approach of London Economics is the perfect blend between the intellectual stimulus of academia and the professional client-based approach of the leading management consultancies. This culture makes London Economics a unique place to work. It is both fun and dynamic.
Our culture and the people who make up London Economics determine our values. Simply put these are:
- Intellectual robustness: we are not interested in fads or fashions, only the right answer. This requires hard work.
- Honesty: if a client has a problem, or if we do not believe the client’s analysis we will tell them.
- Professionalism: good economics and lots of integrity only get you so far.
- Fun: consulting is hard. We put a lot of emphasis on making London Economics an enjoyable place to work and the degree to which a project is interesting is an important factor in deciding whether we take the work.