All of London Economics’ work involves the use of our expertise to analyse specific issues for our clients, often with the aim of providing an independent perspective. Some of our work involves the provision of that expertise in more formal legal contexts, including:
- the pre-court settlement of disputes;
- written and oral expert testimony before arbitration tribunals and before the courts; and
- assistance to competition authorities and interested parties in preparation of the evidence base and economic arguments in relation to decisions about:
- potential abuse of market power; and
- consequent remedies.
Our expert witness work in these more formal settings has included the quantification of historic and future damages; assessments of regulatory decisions against economic theory and best practice; assessments of market definition and market power; and proposed competition remedies.
We have experience of expert witness work in the following sectors: water, energy, communications, transport and various manufacturing sectors.
Our experts have provided oral evidence before:
- the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes in London
- the Permanent Court of Arbitration in Singapore
- the High Court in Ireland
- a US District Court.
London Economics’ senior staff have also provided written and oral evidence before committees of the European Parliament, the UK Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, the Oireachtas (Irish Parliament), City of Edinburgh and the States of Jersey. Evidence has related to the economic and financial aspects of a wide range of policy areas, including social care, planning, regulatory pricing, EU regional funding and barriers to the European Single Market.
Senior staff with expert witness experience include:
Mr Patrice Muller, Managing Partner
Dr Paula Ramada, Partner
Mr Siôn Jones, Partner
Dr Greg Swinand, Partner
Dr Gavan Conlon, Partner