|Sector:||Disruptive technologies | Space|
|Published:||25 July, 2019|
|Tagged:||2019 Advanced technologies impact assessment qualitative analysis Space stakeholder surveys and consultations|
London Economics was commissioned by Innovate UK, the UK’s Innovation Agency, to undertake a study to explore the future opportunities and challenges around adoption of Industry 4.0 technologies in the UK Space Manufacturing sector. The study assists Innovate UK and the UK Government to better understand how UK Space Manufacturing can benefit from, and fit in with the vision for Industry 4.0 and the Factories of the Future.
Using a combination of desk-based research, stakeholder consultations, industry workshops and socio-economic impact modelling, the study sought to explore the following questions:
- What Industry 4.0 technologies are relevant to UK Space Manufacturing?
- How can Industry 4.0 meet current and future challenges of the UK Space Manufacturing segment in particular, and the wider UK space industry more generally?
- What are the benefits that these technologies could bring to the sector, relative to the current way of ‘doing business’?
- What are the barriers and opportunities and what needs to happen to overcome these?
- What are the potential economic benefits of adoption of Industry 4.0 technologies in UK Space Manufacturing?